Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cure for Diabetes

Two posts in one day? Crazy, you say!

A Solution For Diabetes: A Plant-Based Diet

"I’ve been researching the most common and devastating diseases Americans are dealing with, with the aim of finding a common thread running throughout both cause and reversal. As it is now, one out of every two of us will get cancer or heart disease, and one out of every three children born after the year 2000 will be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. These are devastating diseases, certainly to those who are burdened by them, but also to a health care system that is struggling to keep up.
The extraordinary doctors and nutritional scientists I’ve talked with seem to be saying – and saying fervently – the same thing: a diet high in animal protein is disastrous to our health, while a plant-based (vegan) diet prevents disease and is restorative to our health."

I have been vegetarian for 9 years now. I discovered I am lactose intolerant several years ago. Almost two years ago, I researched the vegan diet and nutrition, tried it for a while, and then decided it was not right for me at that time. Since then I have been continuously improving my diet.
I think the tack that many vegans take of trying to convert people via guilt trip over the suffering of animals is not only not very helpful, it has been very detrimental to the cause. While the suffering of the animals is a very valid concern, some people don't care much about the topic. Many individuals respond to being told what to do by vehemently doing the opposite. But what if it is presented in a different light, as a lifestyle full of yummy food that makes you feel good?
Above all, I believe in paying attention to how your body responds to different foods and learning to listen carefully to our body's messages. Very few people do this any more, but it is such a very valuable skill for living a long, happy, healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment